Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rocket Fizz Candy Store

This post will be a little bit different.  I went to the Rocket Fizz Candy Store which sells all sorts of strange sodas and candies from the United States or from around the world. They also offer candy that is from our past as children.  I got three bags of things, I know I went a little overboard.  It was just so much fun to look at the items and pick stuff out.


 
I am not going to go through everything that I bought, just what I have tasted so far.  It will take a couple of days to taste everything that I bought.  First thing we tasted were the marshmallow ice cream cones.  My mother remembers getting something similar to these when she was a child.  It was penny candy, which we no longer have (candy that only cost a penny).



Here is a picture of the ice cream cone.  Very cute and it looks like it would be delicious.  It was horrible.  the marshmallow was so chewy it was hard to eat and the cone had no flavor or crunch.  My mother said that this looked similar to what she got but was nothing like it in taste. 

Next we tried a Rocket Fizz Shirley Temple Soda.  The flavor was similar to adding Grenadine syrup to seltzer water but again my mother said there was something just not the same as when she was a child.


Now I remember when I was a child getting the candy cigarettes at the Circle K or 7-11 convenience stores.  My friend and I would walk about 4 or 5 blocks to the store and then get candy.  I think I was between 10 and 13.  We would then come back to her house and her father would use his lighter and burn the end of our candy cigarettes so they had a burnt tip.  It made us feel like the candy cigarettes were real cigarettes.  They had boxes of these candy cigarettes at the store and  was really excited to buy a box.  After I opened the box the smell was very close to the ones I remember.  However, the ones I used to get had a red dot on the end to represent the smolder on real cigarettes and the box was full, not half full, of the candy.  Lastly, the taste wasn't there on these cigarettes, there really wasn't any taste.  Do you think that our ability to taste different flavors changes over the years or do you think this was just not made the same as when I was young?  



Lastly we tried the Mangosteen Gummy Candy from Japan.  I like these gummy candies, I have had them in melon, kiwi and peach before.  I have never seen the flavor mangosteen before so I had to get a bag.  I liked them probably best of all of the candy listed here.  I wish I could remember what a fresh mangosteen tastes like so I could compare the flavors.  I just remember that while in China the mangosteen was the best thing I ate.  


Well that is everything I tasted.  I also made one of the candy kits from Japan, there are a lot of pictures so I will make that one it's own separate blog.  Thanks for stopping by and I will see you next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment