Sunday, August 19, 2012

August 2012 Love with Food Box

This months Love with Food boxes theme was Travelin' Treats.  




The following items were sent in the box;
Skinny Dipping Pretzels by East Shore
Key Lime with Ginger Mustard by East Shore
Vegan Lemony Lemon Cookie by the Sun Flour Baking Company
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookie by the Sun Flour Baking Company
Dried Montmorency Cherries by Cherry Bay Orchards
Coconut Toffee Peanuts by Sconza Candies
Gin Gins Super Strength Ginger Caramel Candy by The Ginger People
Tangerine Glee Gum


It's hard to explain how food tastes but I can honestly say that the food in this box was amazing.  The pretzels are just regular skinny pretzels but what makes them amazing is the Key Lime Ginger Mustard.  At first I wasn't so sure about these combinations.  My sister, my mother and I all tried the mustard with the pretzels; it was rather tangy and the lime is really prominent yet there is a sweetness to the mustard that is a nice complement.  I found that I want to get every last drop of mustard out of the jar.  We were able to buy from the Love with Food site a few more jars of the mustard, it will be cherished. 
Next I tried the Dried Montmorency Cherries.  I love dried fruit so these were really good to me.  They were similar to big raisins in texture and had the sweet tangy flavor of good cherries.  I really wanted to buy some more but the website were sold out.  
The Coconut Toffee Peanuts were very good too.  The coconut wasn't very prominent but the toffee had a lovely flavor and it added a nice outer crunch to the peanuts.  My mother, who doesn't care for peanuts, wanted to eat the entire bag she liked them so much.  I think that is the best review I can give, if someone who isn't a fan of peanuts doesn't want to stop eating them they must be good.  Again, I went onto the website to order some more bags of the nuts and the site is sold out.  
The Tangerine Gum by Glee Gum is a sustainable gum that doesn't contain any plastics.  The pieces of gum are like little chick-lets, with a hard candy shell.  The gum was hard to chew and it was sticky, it got stuck in-between my teeth.  I know that the commercial gum is not an eco-conscious gum but I think I am going to continue and chew the commercial brands.  
Both of the vegan cookies had very good flavors and were very soft cookies.  The texture was just a tad odd but not an unpleasant odd, just not something that is thought of when you think of a cookie.  I find that store bought soft cookies will give me indigestion, these didn't affect my stomach at all.  
The last items in the box were ginger chews.  These are like traditional caramels except they have ginger added.  Ginger is a stomach aid and helps in motion sickness or if you have an upset stomach.  These chews are a nice way of getting the ginger as ginger can be spicy.  The chews did have a spicy bit to them but it wasn't unpleasant.     

This was my first box from Love with Food and I found that I really enjoyed it and I can't wait until my box shows up next month.  The cost of the box is $12 a month and every box that the site sells they donate one meal meal to a hungry child.  So not only do you get a box with amazing food, a child also will get food.  Its a win win.  If you want to sign up for this monthly box the link is Love with Food.

Enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment